Saturday, June 22, 2013

Save-A-Word: I too can be in such a swivet + Write Club



It's Save-A-Word Saturday, the word and writing prompts lovers weekly blog hop.

Today's theme isporch swings

My word today isswivet: (noun) a state of nervous excitement, haste or anxiety; flutter

Here's my writing for this word

The way that child pumps that porch swing in such a swivet, makes me wonder about her to no end. She’ll be a scatter-brain her whole life if we can’t get her to calm down.

This weekly word lovers and prompt writers blog hop goes like this:

1. Create a lovely blog post that links back to The Feather and The Rose blog - our host.


2. Pick an old word you want to save from extinction to feature in your blog post. It really must be an old word, not just a big one. We are trying to save lovely archaisms, not ugly giants (for example, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is not an acceptable choice). Luciferous Logolepsy is a great database of lovely words if you're having trouble coming up with something on your own.

3. Provide a definition of your word. Use your word in a sentence (or even a short paragraph) vaguely related to the theme we have chosen this week. You may also add visual or musical interpretations of your word or your sentence. In fact, add anything that moves your creative spirit.

4. Add your post to the linky list below (sometimes I add it later in the day). Then hop to as many other blogs as you can in search of as many wonderful words as possible!

5. Use as many of the words as you can on the people in your life. Do leave us a note or add something to your own post to let us all know what wonderful old word you whipped out to befuddle your friends and relations.


Now for another blogging thrill: Write Club

Fight Club was one of my favorite movies, so of course I had to look into what this Write Club from DL Hammons' Cruising Altitude 2.0 was all about. And then to hear that it's a flash fiction contest - no more than 500 words! Man, I've got to get my butt in gear and write something fast, because the submission deadline is June 30! If I don't get something written for this, I'll be hecka bummed.

But, it's not too late for you either. Click on the button or link above and join in.

6 comments:

  1. I love learning new words! Thanks for the education. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short and thought provoking. I actually worried a bit for the child. Great writing. I too need to get my butt in gear for Writer's Club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Join the mayhem of Write Club, Nancy! It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know what swivet meant.

    Good luck with Write Club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learnt a new word today! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with that word, swivit! It must be returned to our vocabularies.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add wonderful flavors. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...