Saturday, April 6, 2013

You Wanna Be A Funambulist?













Another two-fer! The A to Z Challenge plus Save-a-Word Saturday bloghops. Click on each links to learn more about them. 

This week's theme for Save-a-Word is Footsteps and my word is Funambulist. (Nice how that worked with today's challenge letter, eh?) To see if you can figure out the meaning from the writing, the definition is at the bottom. 

And here's my writing (which is longer than normal because of the A-Z Challenge):

“Have you ever been trained as a funambulist?”

“Well, not really.”

I caught the interviewer blanch, and added, “It came natural.” I shifted in my seat, then straightened up, remembering that this was an interview. “I came from a long line of funambulists. A very long line.”


“Still, there is quite a liability issue.”

“Think of it this way, would you need to ask a frog whether it had been trained to hop onto a lily pad?” He smirked and was about to say something. To prevent him, I continued, “Or a bumble bee what training he had to gather pollen? Believe me, it’s similar. My first steps were made on a rope stretched out on the floor. It’s all videotaped.” I then gave him the name - my family stage name. 

“And why don’t you work with your family? Why go to a competitor.” 

Now I smirked, unable to stifle a small chuckle. “My family has no real competitors.”

Thankfully, he wasn’t offended, knowing the truth of my statement. To answer his question, I said, “My family doesn’t understand me. They don’t see why I want this to be not only my career, but my enjoyment as well. They are, in essence, the opposite of gypsies and don’t feel work and fun should mix. They’ve always said that our profession was a spelling misnomer.”

The interviewer then jumped up, stuck out his hand and said jovially, “Welcome aboard, Claude. You are our new funambulist and can start after you meet the family. As you may know, we gypsies have a large family. And you can familiarize yourself with our tent and setup.”

"No need. But thank you," I said shaking his hand robustly.

"Oh yeah, you're a natural!"

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Funambulist: (fyoo-nam-byuh-list) (noun) a tightrope walker



29 comments:

  1. I started reading the post feeling sure that was a made up word. A little education for me early on a Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great word! I actually thought it was made up at first too :) That makes it easier to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I guess especially after Writer-in Transit's theme posts, you'd think this is made up as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome word choice today. It sounds like a word someone made up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's fun finding those rare words that do sound made up!

      Delete
  4. Bless your heart, I'm sitting in a mall and laughing - and jotting the word down. I am confident I'll be using it shortly!

    Diana at About myself, by myself…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. And if you like, I'm sure a circus could probably use a funambulist apprentice. :)

      Delete
  5. I had no idea it meant a tightrope walker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. :) Wasn't sure if it could be guessed or not. I figure there aren't enough clues in the writing.

      Delete
  6. I kept thinking "Somnambulist" which is a sleepwalker...lol. Fun word and I never knew it before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I caught the context clues! Well-integrated, from where I sit...which is nowhere near as far up as a high wire. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just learned a new word, so thank you for that. I love the pic you used, it's cute.

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I want to be a funambulist but there is no rope that can hold my many tons of weight. :) Happy weekend, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely there's some rope that can be made from some strong mineral down in the bowels of the earth that can hold your weight!

      Delete
  10. Crazy, breezy, and very nice. Thanks - Mary at Mary A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  11. THAT was awesome, Nancy!!! I'm so glad we met through A to Z! I look forward to coming back--happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun word! At first I was thinking I did want to be one just because, but then when I learned the meaning I realized that would be disastrous. I'm way too clumsy to be a funambulist!

    Happy weekend, Nancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clumsy slumsy! It could be trained outa ya! :)

      Delete
  13. I feel like I am funumbling through this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I feel ready to generate all sorts of ambulist words!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that the word contains the prefix, "fun."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add wonderful flavors. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...